Tuesday, July 25, 2006

Its a business decision, just accept it.

Ok, so I am not in favor of DC United traveling across the country to play a friendly against Real Madrid in Seattle, Washington. I would have preferred that this match took place closer to home so that all of us United supporters who wanted to go would have that opportunity available. I think having an East Coast club fly out west for a friendly in the middle of a very busy travel heavy section of their league season is just a little off.

Then last night I spoke with my dad, who just happened to have checked out my blog for the first time. He asked me why Real Madrid didn't just play the MLS club in Seattle. After telling him that there was no MLS club in Seattle, he basically told me that it sounded like they were "shopping" soccer to the Seattle area, using a globally famous European club, and the most successful club in MLS history. By just that information, he felt this was pretty much a sales pitch to Seattle, a showcase if you will.

Trying to take a step away from being a United fan for a moment, I thought about it and the more I think about this match, from a business end of things, and for the good of MLS, this match makes sense. It does provide a great chance for the Seattle media market and soccer fans to get a taste of both international pro-soccer, as well as a chance to see just what MLS has to offer. As this is also being promoted by the RSL owner, perhaps we will be seeing the foundations for a move from Salt Lake to Seattle?

In any case, the more I think about it, and the more I understand the business end of this arrangement, the more I think that this is a good idea. I still do not like it and wish the match were closer to DC. That said, I hope that this match does draw alot of people and that it is the start of getting a club in Seattle, either via relocation or a brand new club.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot