Wednesday, July 26, 2006

My God, what a bad game.


Columbus Crew vs. Everton FC

So I sat down tonight to watch the one ESPN2 televised international friendly this season, Crew vs. Everton. I figured that the Crew would put a lot of their subs in, (they have the largest number of players on the injured list, how many subs can a club like that have?) and that Everton would follow suit. What I did not expect was what I got, one really awful match.

The match started and it looked as if there were maybe 7 or 8 thousand fans at the match. Its a Wednesday night and this isn't a league game. Not all clubs have the fan support of DC United (15,223 showed up for the Celtic match, on a Wednesday night) so I can understand the low number. Then as I watched the match...slowly...go...bye...and...roll...on...and...on...and...on, I started to wonder what the hell was really going on. I found myself actually enjoying to listen to Eric Wynalda's commentary, which was my first sign that this ship was going down faster than the MLS Select Squad against Real Madrid last season. The pace was horrible, Sebastian Rozental's goal was nice, but I was more shocked at how slow the Everton defense was. The Everton goal was classic Columbus, "Here Mr. EPL guy, let me pass you the ball." You make that pass and still wonder why you are riding the pine, Chad Marshall?

Anyways, it was such a bad match. I felt bad for the fans that showed up. Then as I was just starting to feel bad for them, the ESPN2 cameras showed that Crew Stadium has an upper deck. That means that the small number of people must actually be smaller...did they even get 5,000 people to show up for the drivil they were putting on display?

MLS had these matches scheduled -

DC United vs. Celtic
Chicago Fire vs. Club America
FC Dallas vs.Tigres
LA Galaxy vs. Necaxa

Not one of them was on ESPN2. Anyone of them would have been ten times better than the piece of monkey crap I saw tonight.

MLS has these matches scheduled still -

Red Bull New York vs. Barcelona
DC United vs. Real Madrid
Real Salt Lake vs. Real Madrid

None of these matches are on ESPN2. WTF??? MLS/SUM supposedly just renegotiated a new deal with ABC/ESPN, one that cut FSC out of showing any MLS matches. So why are none of these matches being shown? Sorry, there is a MLS match being shown on August 12th, the day that both Barcelona and Real play their matches (RBNY and RSL), but technically, on the east coast, it is broadcast on Sunday, as it is at 12am!

Are two chimpanzees and a herd of elephants running MLS/SUM? Come to think of it, two chimpanzees and a herd of elephants might have been better TV than the Crew match tonight.

I want those two hours of my life back.

4 Comments:

Blogger Jim said...

The level of "excitement" was typical of the Crew this season.
Do give them credit for ok defensive play tonight.
They can't score to save their souls.

Everton was just as flat. Not into it at all. The Crew made it easier for them by shooting a mile wide or high each time.

The North End at Crew Stadium was lively, though. They had some cheers ready.
"Cahill is a wanker."
"Man U reject"

Really enjoy your blog.
Cheers.

9:15 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I forgot the "Cahill is a Wanker"Chant. That was good, I forgot that one.

9:50 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

talking out of your back sides watch what all you yanks watch baseball basketball and american football, you can't talk about FOOTBALL lol you call it soccer you jerks Cahill is a class player and he has been top quality for the 2 million pounds we spent on him remind me when did the MLS ever gain an ounce of credibility oh yeah it never has watch EVERTON in the best league in sport in the world the english premier league you ass's

9:42 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

I happen to like watching the EPL. I get up early every Saturday during the EPL season and watch what matches we can get over here.

I was upset because the EPL team, even in preseason, should have wiped the floor with the MLS team, because the MLS team is really a bad club.

Cahill performed terrificly in the World Cup and should score alot of goals for Everton.

For your information, football was given the name "soccer" by the English, so check what you say when you attack Yank Football supporters.

11:25 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot