Tuesday, April 03, 2007

DC United Recap: CONCACAF Champions Cup

Well, it was a better match than the last time in Mexico.

So Jamie finally scored and we finally saw Fred. I think we saw alot more in this match. I saw Emilio and Gomez basically get smothered out of the match, something we should be prepared to see over the entire MLS season.

Regardless of the fact that Chivas kept Gomez and Emilio from really getting too involved in the match, I wasn't that upset with the scoreline or the performance of United. 2-1 is a respectable scoreline, one I didn't want to see unless we dropped in the 2, but nothing to really be ashamed about. The performance overall, was a good one. Our ball control, for the most part, was very good. Player support for the guy on the ball needs to improve, and I expect that it will. Passing out of the defense needs to improve as well, which we will have to wait and see how it does.

So the 2007 CONCACAF Champions Cup is no more for DC United. They went 2-1-1 in the tournament and made the semi-finals. The biggest thing about their performances in each match is that they never looked like they were overmatched. Not playing on a pitch that looked like it had clumps of grass every meter; not in two very cold down pour's and not at altitude against one of the best clubs in the Western Hemisphere. If the performance over the last four matches is any indication of how DC United will do in the MLS season, things are definitely looking up for sure.

Benny was definitely my man of the match. Jamie put in his best performance of the tournament as well. Troy... I have to say, as a former goalkeeper, letting a ball go straight through your hands and into the net is devastating. I was impressed with how he recovered himself to come up with three huge saves in the last 15 minutes of the match. He should have another strong season in the nets.

Well, Chivas now have their chance to match what Club America did last season and try and go to the FIFA Club World Cup. I have to say it, I wasn't impressed with Chivas after the first match and I still haven't changed my opinion about them. Chivas, at best, looked like a good MLS club. Yes, some of their passing was crisper than 85% of MLS clubs, but I never really saw them outclassing DC United. I probably saw four separate times where Chivas was starting to show the "class" that they were supposed to have. You exclude those times and it looked like a good MLS match.

So now United travel up to Denver to visit DSG Park and take on the Colorado Rapids. Assuming that United play this Saturday as they did today, I have no problem predicting a 3-0 victory for United.

Labels: , , ,

1 Comments:

Blogger Juan said...

LA BARRA BRAVA
LA BARRA PUTA
EL QUE NO SALTA ES UN HIJO DE PUTA!

JAJAJA!!

CHEERS MATES!

10:08 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot