Saturday, May 26, 2007

Match Recap: DC United 2 -1 Houston Dynamo

Third straight 2-1 match and third straight victory. I will take that any day.

Tonight's match was a lot better than the last home match. United came out of the blocks a little flat, but recovered quickly and grabbed a 1-0 lead in the 4th minute. With the exception of Gomez's goal, Houston looked like the better side. Olsen's goal in the 28th minute was excellent and it allowed United to do more with the field and the ball. This was the first match this season that I didn't have that feeling in my gut that a draw was ok.

The second half was more of the same until Josh Gros decided to play Outfield for the Nationals. The PK was warranted and deserved. Troy Perkins stepped up tonight as an MLS Goalkeeper of the Year should step up. He not only stopped D'Ro on his PK, but he made several point blank saves that kept United's lead intact. I can fully understand Gomez being named the match MVP, but in my book, I have to hand it to Troy.

Overall, I liked what I saw from the entire team. Erpen made several great defensive plays and really didn't have his usual defensive gaff. As a whole, the United defense really only f'd up once, which was when two players flew past D'ro on his goal.

Christian played a much better match tonight, which I hope is a sign of better things to come. Kpene worked his ass off and should have been awarded a PK when he was shouldered down in the box in the first half. Kpene has again shown that he will be a forward threat for United in the near future. One question that in my mind that should be coming up is if Moreno should maybe step back and fill a midfield role rather than a forward position? I think that a United line up with Emilio and Kpene up front, with Gomez, Moreno, Fred and Olsen with Bozwell, Gros, Erpen and Namoff would possibly be a more potent offensive unit and a better defensive side than what we have seen.

Anyways, we have a trip out to LA for a match against a Galaxy side that is still having troubles finding wins in matches that are MLS regular season matches. Considering that the Galaxy lost tonight 1-0, next weeks match should be a bit more of a high pressure situation for them. The Galaxy hasn’t won a league match in three matches, so going a fourth straight would be horrendous. United should be very cautious of them.

I liked what I saw out of United tonight. Sure the last 20 minutes were a little dicey, but against the defending MLS Cup champions, I would expect nothing less. United have strung 4 straight matches without a loss. The defensive gaffs that plagued United over the first three matches haven't really been that bad, and when they have, the club has covered for themselves. I like the direction that Soehn has the club going in. I want three points from FC Beckham-Elect.

Labels: , ,

2 Comments:

Blogger beanjah said...

Erpen definitely had a good game and did not have a usual gaff. He did however have an unusual gaff in fulfilling his incessant need for a bicycle kick in every game by kicking Ching in the face.

10:47 PM  
Blogger Brian said...

Oh damn, I forgot that he did his usual flip kick on Ching. Yeah, he was actually lucky not to get a red card from that.

Too many beers.

6:36 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot