Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Not using a Czech reference.


Czech Republic 3 - 0 United States

Czech-Mate. Reality Czech. Czech Your Head.

Those were some of the headlines I saw over yesterday and this morning after the USA were clinically defeated at the hands of the Czech Republic. 3-0. Talks of how the Czechs looked like a pro team playing a rec league team. I really do not know what made me want to throw up more yesterday, the USA performance, or the coverage afterwards.

The US National Team that played yesterday was not the team I know. I have seen them play more games than I can remember. That was not them. It looked like them. Their jersey's had their names on them. That was not them. They played last night as if it were a warm up, at best. The game yesterday made me think of a bad movie that has a pro team throw a match, they come out and look bad, like "8 Men Out." That was not a Bruce Arena squad that I have ever seen.

If I was to pick out the bad performances, I would get carpal tunnel in my wrists, it would take that long to type it. Keller was helpless in the three goals. He wasn't out of position at all, he was beaten by three great shots. That was about the only player that had no faults yesterday. There were some players that had good moments, but no one was above being called out for looking pathetic, tired, passionless, and dull.

This is not to take away anything from the Czech Republic. They looked great. Their counter attacks were lethal, their midfield was dominating and their defense was a damn brickwall. They reminded me of the Germany squads of the late 80's and early 90's. If there was one sense of a bright spot for the US was that as well as the Czech's were playing, the US only lost 3-0. That match should have been 5-0.

The match yesterday was a perfect storm for the US. They played below par and their opponent played well above par.

Now, for the Italian match. The US must get 3 points, which I don't see them doing. I never did, even when I dreamt a couple of posts ago, reality never allowed me to see the US getting 3 points from the Italians. The best we can hope for is 1 point, or to just score a goal. If I was running things, which I am not, I would send out the following line-up:

Keller
Pope - Onyewu - Lewis
Reyna
Dempsey - O'Brien - Convey
Donovan
McBride - Johnson
I do not think Beasely should be allowed to start, regardless if he kisses Bruce's ass all week. Mastroeni should be used as a defensive sub, maybe to replace Eddie Lewis. This formation should be able to get some good runs up the sides and crosses in. Dempsey, IMHO, should have been subbed on yesterday, as I think he would have been able to provide that offensive, energentic spark that none of the field players had.
These suggestions might work, assuming that one thing actually happens on Saturday, the US National Team plays like the US National Team. I am still trying to figure out who the hell was out on the field yesterday.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kinney said...

You put up a 10 men line up. You might want to add Donovan as an A-Mid or Dolo as a Rightback. Not sure which you had in mind...pretty sure its Donovan.

9:46 AM  
Blogger Kinney said...

Also, I think you have your flankers switched, because you have Convey and Lewis on the right and Duece on the left.

9:48 AM  
Blogger Brian said...

Stupid Blogger deleted him or something. I will fix that.

Yeah, I got them mixed up. Might not help anyways. :)

9:54 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot