Thursday, November 09, 2006

Klinsi in 2008?


The Redskins Insider on the Washington Post had a quick little blurb about Klinsmann not becoming the USMNT coach until 2008. It is at the bottom of the article.

"For all my soccer-luvin' peeps out there. Some well connected people tell me Klinsi has essentially agreed to the US job financially, but it's being held up 'cause he does not want to take over full-time until Jan. 2008. On the surface, no big deal, since WC qualifying will not really be underway yet, but the USSF is making a bold step by going to the Copa America this summer - as well as the Gold Cup - so would want Klinsi to start sooner. Klinsi would be around, but Sigi Schmidt would coach the team full-time in 2007. Anyway, that's just what I've heard ... " - Jason La Canfore

I really don't know if I like this. Name the guy in November of 2006, but wait for him to take full control another 14 months away? Have his assistant run the squad for 14 months that include the CONCACAF Gold Cup (which a victory gets us the 2009 Confederations Cup) and the 2007 Copa America?

No, I have decided that I don't like this. I know that even if Klinsi had whomever it was as his assistant running things, they would be using his program, but there is no substitute to having the man himself run the training and bark the orders from the sideline. If Klinsmann becomes the USMNT head coach, I want him to start in January of 2007, so that he starts getting guys ready for the two tournaments this summer and gets his coaching staff ready for play in Beijing in 2008.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home

Office Depot Coupons
Office Depot